About Total Shoulder Replacements
Total shoulder replacement is a surgical procedure that removes osteoarthritic bone and replaces it with metal and plastic components. This procedure is similar to a total knee or total hip replacement as the goal is to relieve the symptoms associated with joint arthritis. Total shoulder replacement is very effective at restoring range of motion and improving quality of life. Procedure steps include:
- Incision. An incision is made on the front of the shoulder. Modern surgical techniques allow our surgeons to make much smaller incisions
thanmay have been required in years past.
- Bone removal. Osteoarthritic bone is removed or trimmed and prepared for the implants.
- Implants. Metal and plastic implants are perfectly positioned to mimic the normal function of a healthy shoulder and then cemented in place.
- Closure. The incision is carefully closed and sterilely dressed.
The patient is placed in a comfortable sling after the procedure and brought to the postoperative recovery room where they are monitored until they are awake, alert, and ready to be moved to their hospital room or go home. After surgery, OPA Shoulder Specialists will create a Physical Therapy plan to help restore function and motion to the shoulder.
Patients who choose Orthopedic Physicians Alaska (OPA) Board Certified and Fellowship Trained Shoulder Specialists perform their total shoulder replacement can look forward to symptom relief, a quick recovery, and a return to normal, pain-free living.
What Does Total Shoulder Replacement Treat?
Osteoarthritis is a chronic condition that degrades the bones, cartilage and soft tissue of a joint. Shoulder osteoarthritis is especially problematic because the shoulder is the body’s most mobile joint. Severe shoulder osteoarthritis causes bone on bone rubbing, which can damage soft tissue, cartilage
- Decreased range of motion
- Inability to move the arm
The key to effective shoulder osteoarthritis treatment is an early diagnosis. If you are in pain, please contact us today to make an appointment.
OPA Joint Replacement Team
(click a provider to view profile)
To provide the finest orthopedic surgery and musculoskeletal care in North America, offering general and specialized adult care to all Alaskans and visitors.